Temporary Full Time (2 Positions)-Commencing June 2019 for one year with the possibility of a six month extension
Hours of Work: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Waterloo Wellington Behavioural Support Ontario (BSO) funded Clinical Intake Worker will be a team member of the WWLHIN Specialized Geriatric Services clinical intake team. The position will work collaboratively with Primary Care Physicians to assist with delivering services for older adults with complex health issues associated with cognitive impairments due to complex mental health, addictions, dementia, or other neurological conditions and their caregivers. The BSO Clinical Intake Worker will be an employee of St. Joseph’s Health Centre Guelph, the Lead Organization for the WWLHIN Specialized Geriatric Services System.
- Masters and/ or Bachelor’s Degree in relevant health or social science field
- Advanced clinical assessment skills and ability to utilize completed assessments and health care information
- Excellent oral and written skills and capacity for both self-direction and collaboration within the context of an intersectoral transdisciplinary team
- Excellent computer skills and familiarity with electronic communication devices
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy the position requires the incumbent to provide a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate for Vulnerable Sector
Additional Education/Certificates Preferred
- Canadian certificate in Gerontology
- Certificate in Dementia Care
- Certificate in Addictions
- Certificate in Mental Health
- Training in P.I.E.C.E.S.TM, Gentle Persuasive Approach, U-First!, Montessori, an asset French and/or another second language will also be a significant asset.
- Prior experience working with older adults and families in the community and/or long term care home in the areas of geriatric mental health/geriatric medicine
- A minimum of 3 years current experience working in a community health care setting
- Advanced assessment and intervention skills
- Experience working in a fast paced team setting
- Experience working with primary care and specialized geriatric services
- Experience and knowledge of client/safety issues and demonstrated capacity to apply client/safety practices
- Experience with quality improvement processes an asset
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge and skill working with older adults with responsive behaviours associated with cognitive impairments due to complex mental health, addictions, dementia, or other neurological conditions and their caregivers.
- Demonstrated skills in collaboration with other care providers
- Demonstrated skills in gathering additional clinical information
- Demonstrated clinical skill in utilizing clinical assessments already completed including primary care, acute care, CCAC, memory clinics, specialized geriatric services, other
- Demonstrated clinical knowledge and skill in discussing need for tests +/- bloodwork with primary care
- Demonstrated clinical knowledge and skill in assessing priority of referral and immediate service need required
- Determine need for full Specialized Geriatric Service and BSO service
- Demonstrated clinical knowledge of non-pharmacological and pharmacological management approaches
- Demonstrated trouble-shooting and problem-solving approach relative to the situation within the scope of practice
To apply to this exciting opportunity, please use the ‘Apply’ button below to submit a curriculum vitae in confidence, outlining how your knowledge, experience and personal attributes are a good fit with the requirements of this position and the values of St. Joseph’s Health Centre Guelph.
St. Joseph’s Health Centre Guelph is an equal opportunity employer and strives for equity, inclusiveness, and diversity in all programs, facilities, and people. St. Joseph’s Health Centre Guelph is committed to creating a barrier-free, accessible organization, utilizing a collaborative approach in supporting persons with disabilities during recruitment, assessment, selection, hiring, and the ongoing employment life cycle.
We appreciate all responses; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.